In one fell swoop, Ford has become the center of attention, not only amongst performance- and racing-enthusiasts, but anyone even remotely interested in American cars. It all has to do with the Ford GT350 and Ford GT350R that the automaker rolled out at the very recent Detroit Auto Show.
The GT350R is nearly the same car as the GT350. They both share a 5.2-liter flat-crank V8 powertrain making 500 horsepower and 400 lb-ft of torque. The RPM dial on both cars indicates a redline of 8200 rpm. They also share an equal front-to-rear weight ratio.
However, there are differences between GT350 and GT350R, all designed to make the GT350R a formidable racer. Some of the advantages that the R received are:
- Carbon-fiber wheels, making it 13 pounds lighter than with aluminum wheels
- 2 inch lower suspension to improve handling
- No air-conditioning, stereo or trunk lining, making it 130 pounds lighter
- Less forgiving springs and anti-roll bars
- MagneRide adaptive dampers
As you can see, the differences are subtle. Choosing between them is like choosing between two kinds of awesome. Nothing to lose.
Look for the GT350 soon at Paul Obaugh Ford or test drive any of our equally awesome 2015 Ford Mustangs today!